FUTURE PHOTO COMPETITION THEMES
The competition theme for November was Leaves Close Up & Personal.
Each month we have a themed based competition for members of the Roanoke Camera Club.
- The competition is only open to club members in good standing.
- Images must be digital.
- Images should be emailed to Mark Deardorff by midnight the Sunday before the meeting.
- Images need to be no greater than 1920 wide x 1200 high. Neither width nor height can be exceeded. For example if the width causes the height to exceed 1200 then reduce the width.
- Images should be in jpeg format and in baseline standard format and not be greater then 1.25mb in size.
- Once an entry has won first place it can not be submitted in future competitions.
- Only one entry can be submitted per month per club member.
Competition Judging Guidelines
Roanoke Camera Club
(Implemented September 2022)
The following guidelines shall be used to judge and score entries in the monthly Club Competition.
1. Competition is open to members in good standing with the Club. Likewise, the judging of competition entries shall be done by members in good standing.
2. Monthly categories for competition shall be established by a Committee appointed by the President. The procedure for entry of images for competition each month shall be determined by the President and Vice President. The procedure for viewing and scoring of competition entries shall be established by the President. The President shall determine how the results are presented to the membership.
3. Competition images shall be judged in Four Criteria:
a. Technique - focus, depth of field, lighting, color rendition, white balance, exposure.
b. Composition - the arrangement of all elements within the image so the subject matter is presented as a harmonious, well-balanced photograph.
c. Impact - a combination of imagination, subject selection, and subject presentation. This is sometimes called the “wow” factor.
d. Category - how well the image represents the category established for that month’s competition.
4. After having considered each criteria listed above, a judge shall score each image in a range of one (1) to nine (9). A score of five (5) shall be given to an image with no significant flaws, but likewise no significant strengths. If there are significant flaws, a judge shall score the image accordingly in the range of four (4) to one (1). Likewise, if there are significant strengths, a judge shall score the image accordingly in the range of six (6) to nine (9).
Special Rule: If a judge feels that an image has completely failed to represent the category established for that month, the judge may give the image a score of zero (0). Care should be exercised by a judge when doing this.
December - Reproduce a likeness of a famous painting - pick a painting by a famous artist and submit an image like that painting. Also submitt a photo of the painting include the artists name.
2023 Themes coming soon.